Monday, April 13, 2009

April 13 Monday Berlin Journal Day 1


April 13 Monday


We almost missed the flight out of Mnpls. We stopped for a bite to eat in the airport. That is the first time ever, mind you that we have “caved” into eating in the airport. We arrived to our gate, I went to the bathroom and when I came out Luke was standing at the gate. They gave the final call, if we don't get on, they'll off load our luggage! Crap! We just made it. ~

The plane food was OK. We flew from Rochester to Mnpls (28 min flight), then ~2 hour layover, Mnpls to Amsterdam(7hr 30 min flight) then~2 hour layover, then AMS to Berlin which was a 1 hour flight. We finally got our luggage and saw Rodger and Beth waiting for us.

At this time it was midmorning in Berlin. It was about 3 am for us with no sleep. We weren't in terrible shape, but we were crabby and eager to get to our apartment and relax.

Mother and Father helped us quickly get a bus ticket to take us to city center. We didn't get it fast enough and had to wait for the next one. The bus was a nice one, the tickets were €2.10 each. We stood with our luggage and it was maybe a 15-20 min. ride. It is a blessing to have our smaller suitcases for this trip.

Once off the bus we could see the Brandenburg gate and the Hotel Adlon (where Michael Jackson famously dangled his baby from the balcony). We walked to the information center at the base of Brandenburg gate and purchased our 3 day museum card for 18€ each. Mother took our picture and then I insisted we be off to the apt. We walked for a few minutes, made a few twists and turns.

I like our neighborhood. It is so very very local Berlin. There are a few coffee shops immediately outside our front door, some restaurants with outdoor seating, and even a Jewish bakery (which is closed as it is Easter Monday and Passover as well). It is spring in Berlin. The trees are just budding and have little green leaves all over the trees. The tulips are at their full height and bloom. The grass is green, the sun is out and the breeze is cool.

I have also noticed that Berlin drivers are a more courteous lot than many other European cities.

So, we arrive to the apartment which is hidden in plain sight. The building has no numbers on it's side to note address. It only has #2 written in permanent marker on the buzzer pad by the building front door.

We are on the 1st floor, the building itself is beautiful. There is wide honey colored wood planked floors. It looks like it could be in a Minnesota cabin it is so pretty. There are jute hallway runners tacked down in the public stairwells. The stairs and railings are beautiful as well. I almost thought it was worth a picture. Maybe I'll have to take one.

Our apartment is a one bedroom. Mom and Dad took the bedroom as they should, but that left Luke and I the futon. We usually take special care to AVOID apts with only 1 bedroom, but due to special circumstances this apartment is better than no apartment. Much better.

We got acquainted with the apt, put some of our stuff away, found a home for our suitcases (in the living room mind you). And had a quick lunch as Mom and Dad were hungry. I got our bedding squared away so Luke and I could take a nap. The pillows are shaped weird. They are longer and narrower than the pillows on our bed in the US. I was kind of disappointed that the duvet and the sheets were all just tossed in the linen closet. I scrutinized VERY VERY closely to verify that they had been recently laundered or at least not DIRTY. The duvets are stinky and they are being aired out of the window as we speak. Mom said she had febreeze in her bag. I thought I found it, sprayed the duvets- then I found the real febreeze. I think I sprayed the blankets with leave in conditioner. Oh well.

Luke and I laid down in the living room while mom and dad got their stuff together to go see a few more sites while we slept. I remember being annoyed that they were making so much noise, but we didn't hear them leave, so we must have crashed pretty quickly.

We slept 3 hours and woke before the alarm went off. That is a miracle in itself. It is so hard to sleep just a bit when you are so damned tired. We only have 1 set of keys for the moment so I let Luke go to the grocery store while I wait here to let him back in. Luke LOVES going to the grocery stores in foreign countries. He will no doubt come back with some interesting things as I am not there to remind him of reason. I saw he has a recipe for braised beef brisket up on the computer.

Our kitchen is a kitchenette. But, for one of the FIRST times in our European travels- we. Have. An. Oven. What a blessing. That will open up our food possibilities beyond anything we've eaten so far.

Just moments after Luke left, I hear my dad calling my name from the street. Then immediately after, I hear my mom shush him. I come to the window quick, but not quick enough as he calls out my name again. Embarrassment never ends, even when you grow up.

I am surprised they didn't run into Luke on the street. They came up and talked a bit- then they are going to go grocery shopping as well. I think they'll travel a bit farther to go to a bigger grocery store- a “super” market. We'll see what treats they come home with.

That leaves me here to wait for Luke's return, clean up the kitchen a bit, and maybe read if I can keep my eyes open. I'll proofread and post this so you all have something to read.

Luke made potato soup w/ onion and fresh potato with the secret ingredient of a dry alfredo sauce packet. Luke also made like a rice a roni. They tried to go grocery shopping but the places close by were closed.

After dinner we brought two 7 day tickets were €21 each. We paid cash from a machine. Then we headed to do a cursory visit of checkpoint charlie and potsdamer platz and the Sony Center. We took a few pictures of the big canapoy. It looked like times square or freemont street in Vegas.

We stopped in a little mall on Friedrichstrasse metro area and mom and dad each had nutella /banana crepes.

We stopped for groceries at a place that WAS open. We can't remember the name of the place. We bought all manner of groceries. Some fruit, carrots, lots of yogurt, milk, bread, weiners, potted meat, tomato sauce, cheese, paprika potato chips, spetzele, dishwasher soap, remoulade, curry ketchup, .99€ german white wine in a box. We actually just opened and finished the white wine w/ in 30 min between the 4 of us. It was delicious. Dad has tried to pour out of the empty box several times in attempt to fill his glass again.

We've gone over our itinerary to see who is doing what tomorrow. Luke and I get to sleep on the futon tonight and we'll see how great it is.

Tomorrow the real sightseeing begins.

2 comments:

Jill Olson said...

Hey this does not look much different than what we would see here in some of our cities.. it looks very civilised!!! Beautiful pictures and your apartment looks really nice!! Sunshine too.. what could be better!! I can't believe you almost missed your flight! My stomach would have been in knots over that one!! ok.. have a good time.. love you, Mom

Unknown said...

Hey bud I was wondering if you are able to watch ESPN on your TV while you are over there?